Mjesta

Mjesta (12)

Wednesday, 14 November 2012 07:43

Antonci

Written by

A village of Antonci is situated on the slopes by the Mirna valley.
Next to the old houses showing visible traces of the passing of time, there are some newly renovated buildings. A dog’s barking warns of hunting or truffle mushroom harvesting. One can see that the place is alive, and a number of young people have decided to stay in their native village.
Facades of local houses have inscriptions dating back to the 17th and 18th centuries.

 
Next to the old houses showing visible traces of the passing of time, there are some newly renovated buildings. A dog’s barking warns of hunting or truffle mushroom harvesting. One can see that the place is alive, and a number of young people have decided to stay in their native village.
Wednesday, 14 November 2012 07:44

Bijele zemlje

Written by

The Bijele Zemlje region has had communications routes since prehistoric times and later, during the era of the Roman conquests when Roman emperors traveled through this area, up to today. Settlements in the region:Lorencini, Stancija Torčelo, Bijele zemlje, Sažoni, Sv. Ivan, Raskršće, Pižoni, Šaltarija, Rupe, Stancija Bošić, Gardini, Jermani, Jarpetar i Hitrici.

Wednesday, 14 November 2012 07:44

The Mirna Valley

Written by

 

 

 

Ancient Via Flavia, leading from Buje to Pula, crosses the Mirna at the bridge known as Ponte Porton. This ancient site, known also as Porta Porton, was once a little harbour where the local population exchanged various goods. The harbour was called Bastija, or palada Bastija. In the Roman times boats could sail up to there. Smaller boats could reach the Pietrapelosa fortress, near Buzet.

Over the centuries the river bed rose up because the canals were not cleaned, and only flat-bottomed boats could be used. Venetians cleaned the river bed so that timber from the nearby forest, dedicated to St. Mark and known as the Motovun forest, could be transported. By the Ponte Porton bridge there were a forester's house and an inn offering overnight stay. From there roads led to Vizinada, Buje, Groznjan, Kostanjica, Zavrsje, Livade, Pietrapelosa fortress, and Buzet.

Oasis of peace and quiet

A winding country road leads from the Ponte Porton site to the coast, through a beautiful region far away from the noise of civilization. The river valley is surrounded with fields and meadows.

PONTE PORTON
Ancient Via Flavia, leading from Buje to Pula, crosses the Mirna at the bridge known as Ponte Porton. This ancient site, known also as Porta Porton, was once a little harbour where the local population exchanged various goods. The harbour was called Bastija, or palada Bastija. In the Roman times boats could sail up to there. Smaller boats could reach the Pietrapelosa fortress, near Buzet.

Over the centuries the river bed rose up because the canals were not cleaned, and only flat-bottomed boats could be used. Venetians cleaned the river bed so that timber from the nearby forest, dedicated to St. Mark and known as the Motovun forest, could be transported. By the Ponte Porton bridge there were a forester's house and an inn offering overnight stay. From there roads led to Vizinada, Buje, Groznjan, Kostanjica, Zavrsje, Livade, Pietrapelosa fortress, and Buzet.

Bastija was a loading site for the precious timber from St. Mark's forest to be transported to the Venice Arsenal. Timber was loaded on the flat-bottomed boats which sailed to the sea pushed by the eastern wind. A landward breeze, called maestral, pushed long boats, loaded with various goods, upstream. Having passed a lime kiln, known as Cirenaica, where the river winds and capes create a lee, bargemen - inhabitants of Kostanjica - pushed and towed boats with forcadas (forked poles) and alzanas (towing ropes) up to the harbour. The harbour was of great importance to Groznjan and the surrounding settlements because, aside from timber transportation, it provided an opportunity for barter and trade of all kinds of goods.

On the left bank, about 1 km seaward from the bridge, there is a little church of Madonna of Bastija. It has a square ground-plan, a little distaff on the façade, and a dome supported by columns. It is a simple edifice, decorated with a painting of Madonna behind the altar. In the past the church was an important place of worship for both the passing seamen and the local population and their processions, wedding ceremonies, etc.
It was completely renovated in 1999. After the fall of the Venetian Republic in 1797, the canals were abandoned, and meadows turned to swamps. Malaria reigned. Only in 1930 the Kingdom of Italy reclaimed the swamps, thus eradicating malaria and enabling cultivation of the fertile land. River traffic was replaced by road transportation.

 

 

 

 

Wednesday, 14 November 2012 08:18

Grožnjan - Grisignana

Written by

 

 

 

Grožnjan is located above the Mirna River valley on a hill above the sea level of 228 meters. Medieval urban complex has remained largely untouched until now. It is a natural base for an intense and interesting life Grožnjan lives today. We invite you to share it with us.

Away from the sea ten miles has always been attractive for settlement. From the 1358th The Grožnjan has free status of the municipality. In the fifties of the last century just becomes part of the municipality Buje. Since 1993. The re-gained the status of municipalities.

Apart from the Croatian and Italian languages in official use, as well as Slovenia, which is not a problem on the streets Grožnjan hear and many other world languages.

 

 

 

Wednesday, 14 November 2012 07:46

Kostanjica

Written by

 

 

 

If you turn from the ancient Via Flavia at Ponte Porton, you will find yourself on a road climbing up the hill, where the old burial/sepulchral church of St. Stephen built in the 14th or 15th century, with a part of a wooden altar belonging to the ancient church of St. Anthony, still stands. In the middle of the cemetery there is a big cross with a bronze sculpture of Christ. From the Kostanjica crossroad a road leads to Biloslav, a village where the Parenzana railroad station used to be.

Past the cemetery, the road winds down to the ancient village of Kostanjica. The place was inhabited in ancient times; graves and inscriptions from the Roman era have been found. The parish church has been dedicated to the Virgin Mary, Peter and Paul. It bears the Electamus Genoa 1769 inscription. It was rebuilt in 1500 and expanded in the year mentioned in the inscription. There are three altars, the biggest one, made of marble, displays statues of St. Paul and St. Peter. In front of the church there is a sandstone bell tower built during the Venetian rule; it has square ground-plan and octagonal belfry. On the arch one can read year 1766. The village is almost completely deserted; only a few people live by the main road. Houses have interesting architectural features, typical of Istrian villages: long balconies, small terraces and outdoor hearths for cooking and barbecuing.

Old cobblestone streets

In the late 14th century, during the Austrian rule, surrounding villages were populated by Wallachians. Venice took over in 1510, and the Worms Edict of 1521 confirmed the status. In 1530 Venice auctioned Kostanjica and it became, along with Zavrsje and Bercenigla, property of Giustignano Contarini, a citizen of Venice. The Contarini family owned it until the 18th century. There was also a Castagna family, whose coat of arms is still visible on an old façade. After the plague of 1630 Venice encouraged immigration of Croats from Dalmatia and other regions.

Local population has always been agricultural; fertile soil provided all the necessary aliments. Inhabitants of Kostanjica also worked on boats which transported timber down the river, from Bastija to the Mirna Harbour (Porto Quieto). They were called battellanti (bargemen).

 

 

 

Wednesday, 14 November 2012 07:46

Kuberton

Written by

 

 

 

Abandoned and then reinhabited, the place invites you to visit. riving from Marusici to Sterna, after the turn leading to Vrnjak, a road on the left climbs to Kuberton. It is 1.5 km long and passes through Gomila Donja and Buslete villages. Prehistoric graves have been found in both Gomila villages. Kuberton is situated on the top of a hill, in a beautiful landscape with many chestnut trees. The church was dedicated to St. Lawrence and a wooden altar is still there; the rest of the inventory has mostly been stolen. Monsignor Parentin remembers a very precious object which once belonged to the church: a procession cross galvanized with copper, with reliefs on both sides and a bronze crucifix, with a built-in enameled plate displaying celestial symbols on a blue background, on the back.

The cross was made in the 13th century, and its present whereabouts are unknown. In 1655 a sealed parchment from 1543 was found in one of the altars of the Kuberton church. It documented dedication of the church by Pier Paolo Vergerio, a renegade Bishop of Koper. Kuberton was a part of the Sterna church district, and it was a fief of the bishops of Novigrad.

In the 13th century it belonged to Filip di Cosiliaco, a vassal of Count Mainard III of Gorizia. In 1250 he confirmed to of Andrea de Cirlago's descendants that he had sold the property to their father. In the 16th century the area was annexed by the Venetian Republic, and Kuberton became property of the Vergerio family. In 1585 it was sold to the Del Bello family, who gave it away to a certain Gropp of Piran as a part of their daughter's dowry. As a private property, Kuberton had its own jurisdiction until the fall of Venice in 1797. After that it shared Sterna's and Groznjan's destiny. It had a school, various trade shops and many farms, but after World War II many people emigrated to Italy and it remained empty, gradually turning to ruins. In the last several years some houses have been renovated and the place has slowly started to live again.

 

 

 

Wednesday, 14 November 2012 07:47

Makovci

Written by

 

 

 

Village facing a spacious plateau. New and old - past and future in one place. Nicely renovated house and well-kept surrounding area in the Vigini hamlet.

 

 

 

Wednesday, 14 November 2012 07:47

Martinčići

Written by

 

 

 

Captivating beauty of a picturesque village on a hill. Old farm buildings are reminders of the past. The old and the new - left behind, altered, renovated, but never abandoned

 

 

 

Wednesday, 14 November 2012 07:48

Parenzana

Written by

Gradnja pruge započela je u svibnju 1900. nakon što su se sve zainteresirane strane usuglasile oko konačne trase. U početnom projektu pruga je trebala imati trasu Trst-Poreč-Kanfanar . No, problemi s financiranjem koji su pratili projekt od samoga početka doveli su do toga da trasa od Poreča do Kanfanara nikada nije završena. Duljina trase iznosi 123,1 km, širina kolosijeka iznosila je 760 mm. Prva dionica od Trsta do Buja puštena je u promet 1. travnja 1902. Svečano otvorenje druge dionice od Buja do Poreča bilo je 15.12.1902.

Trasa parenzane vrlo je zavojita, usječena u padine pitomih istarskih brežuljaka, prilagođavala se oblicima terena. Duž trase prokopano je 9 tunela ukupne dužine 1530 m. Najzahtjevniji za izvedbu je bio tunel Lucan dužine 544 m, a slijedili su nešto manji tuneli Motovun, Šaleta, Kalcini, Freski, Kostanjica, Sv. Vid, te dva mala tunela Završje I i Završje II. Od ostalih građevina treba istaknuti 16 mostova i 6 vijadukata, te veći broj propusta i nadvožnjaka.

Svojom dužinom od 79,10 m ističe se vijadukt Antonci s pet otvora i najvećim rasponom od 12 m, te nešto manji vijadukt Oprtalj od 75,24 m. Vijadukti su građeni od kamena s polukružnim lukovima položenim na masivne kamene stupove. Zadnja vožnja Parenzane bila je 31.08.1935., a nakon toga je prugu Musollini dao razmontirati, ukrcati na brod i odvesti u Etiopiju za potrebe osvajačkih ratova. Sudbina je htjela da brod nikada nije stigao do Abisinije, već je potonuo na sredini Sredozemnog mora.

Wednesday, 14 November 2012 07:49

Šterna

Written by

The Sterna municipal area was once very large. It included Kuberton, Topolovec, Kucibreg, Cepici and Gradinja. In old days it was known as the Groznjan Cistern because it belonged to Groznjan. Toponym Sterna is short for Cistern, and it comes from an inexhaustible spring which feeds six troughs in a valley north of the church. In 1067 German emperor Henry IV gave this fief, then know as Steina, to bishop Freisinga. In 1102 Marquis Ulrich II donates Sterna to the Aquileia Patriarchy, which gave it as a fief to a bishop of Novigrad. In 1260 the patriarchs gave Sterna to Almerich XXX of St. George on the Mirna. Later it became the property of counts of Gorizia, and in the mid-13th century it became a part of the Momjan estate.

Venice bought Groznjan and the area in 1368, and Sterna came under Venetian rule. In 1420 Venice conquered a patriarch's part of Istria, Sterna came under Pietrapelosa's jurisdiction, and in 1564 became the Gravisi family, and partly the Del Bello family, fief. During the war between Venice and the Cambray League, which lasted from 1508 to 1516, Sterna was frequently attacked by both mercenary armies.

The town's altitude is 304 metres, and the urban core is at a somewhat higher level than a church situated in a small Karst valley. Some mortarless houses are built of gray sandstone, and some of white limestone. If you are coming to Sterna from the south, at Kastel take a road to the right. The road clearly separates a marl-sandstone area in the north from a limestone area in the south.

The parish church once was a large edifice and a main church in the area. The church tower was built in 1791, and it has octagonal cone-shaped belfry. The church itself was built in 1746, as is inscribed on a white architrave, and it was consecrated by the Novigrad's bishop Leoni in 1753 and dedicated to the archangel Michael. It replaced the old church of S. Michaelis in Nemore, of which nothing remains.

It replaced the old church of S. Michaelis in Nemore, of which nothing remains.

In the north, at 383 meters, there is a cemetery with St. Cancian's church, rebuilt in 1885. Inside there are no ornaments except for a large crucifix and a simple altar with a valuable wooden retable from the 16th century. In 1525 Venice started to encourage immigration of Slavic settlers, mostly farmers, as well as tradesmen from Furlania and Carnia.
Sterna was under Groznjan's jurisdiction until the end of World War II, and as a result it shared its history. In 1947 the Treaty of Paris deeded Sterna to the newly established People's Federal Republic of Yugoslavia, while Groznjan remained a part of the Free Territory of Trieste until 1954. Today Sterna is home to farmers and small entrepreneurs.

 

  • Grožnjan - Grisignana
    Grožnjan - Grisignana Grožnjan is located above the Mirna River valley on a hill above the sea level…
  • Antonci
    Antonci A village of Antonci is situated on the slopes by the Mirna valley.Next to the…
  • Bijele zemlje
    Bijele zemlje The Bijele Zemlje region has had communications routes since prehistoric times and later, during the…
  • The Mirna Valley
    The Mirna Valley Ancient Via Flavia, leading from Buje to Pula, crosses the Mirna at the bridge known…
  • Kostanjica
    Kostanjica If you turn from the ancient Via Flavia at Ponte Porton, you will find yourself…
  • Kuberton
    Kuberton Abandoned and then reinhabited, the place invites you to visit. riving from Marusici to Sterna,…
  • Makovci
    Makovci Village facing a spacious plateau. New and old - past and future in one place.…
  • Martinčići
    Martinčići Captivating beauty of a picturesque village on a hill. Old farm buildings are reminders of…
  • Parenzana
    Parenzana Gradnja pruge započela je u svibnju 1900. nakon što su se sve zainteresirane strane usuglasile…
  • Šterna
    Šterna The Sterna municipal area was once very large. It included Kuberton, Topolovec, Kucibreg, Cepici and…
  • Vrnjak
    Vrnjak Vrnjak is situated on a steep hill side. High enough for a good view. Low…
  • Završje
    Završje Zavrsje is nested on a 240-metre high hill, amid marl and sandstone mountainous area where,…

©:
Turisticka zajednica opcine Grožnjan
Ente per il turismo - Comune di Grisignana
Touristichegemeinschaft Grožnjan
Tourist association Grožnjan

Development: Studio WEB ART